Overview – Maldives
Hundreds of islands formed from the peaks of an underwater mountain range make up the Maldives, a gorgeous and thriving country located in the Indian Ocean. It is known as the lowest country in the world where the average height above sea level is less than 5 ft. Perfect for those that want a vacation from the hustle and bustle of society. On a Maldives yacht charter you can visit hundreds of islands before coming across another person. 87 islands have been designated specifically as resorts where colorful reefs shelter tranquil lagoons and are accompanied by white sandy beaches. It can truly be a paradise in solitude.
Speak to a Charter Expert: (800) 382-9666
REQUEST A QUOTE
Search Maldives Yacht ChartersCREWED CHARTERS
Events & Activities – Maldives
Here’s a preview of a few things you can expect on your Maldives yacht charter with Virgin Island Sailing®:
- Over 1,000 islands make up the Maldives but only 200 are inhabited. Finding your own slice of secluded paradise is easy.
- Secluded anchorages, peaceful lagoons, and colorful reefs make sailing and water activities a joy.
- A cuisine that combines curries of south Asian influences with fish and other seafood to make dishes unique to this part of the world.
A Few of the Best Places to Visit in Maldives:
- Gan Island. Beautiful beaches line the shores and when you’ve had your fill of relaxation, head inland to experience unique Maldivian cuisine at a variety of charming fishing restaurants. Gan is also home to the Maldives largest airport.
- Male Island. You’ll find a myriad of tourist attractions, beaches, and sightseeing opportunities in the capital of the Maldives. Take in the Male National Museum or work on your haggling skills in the Male fish market.
- Alimatha Island. Popular with divers, Alimatha Island offers perfect dive spots home to multicolored coral groves and a wide variety of sea life. The luxury cabanas on the beach are a great place to relax after diving.
Weather & Seasons – Maldives
While it still can be considered a humid climate, the Indian Ocean moderates the temperature of the Maldives, preventing it from becoming as hot as other countries at similar latitudes. That being said, with its location near the equator, the country does maintain consistently warm temperatures year round. Rain is typically governed by two seasons, a short dry season in the winter and a longer wet season extending until the end of the year. However, the region is spread out so weather patterns are not always consistent between the northern and southern parts of the country.
|Temp Max (°F )||Temp Min (°F )||Avg. Water Temp (°F )||Avg. Rainfall (in)||Avg. Wind Speed (kts)|
|January||87||78||82||4.5||NE 5-15 |
|February||87||79||82||1.5||NE 5-15 |
|March||89||80||84||2.9||NE 5-10 |
|April||89||80||86||4.8||SW 5-10 |
|May||88||79||86||8.6||W 5-15 |
|June||87||79||84||6.6||W 5-15 |
Travel Info – Maldives
A yacht charter in the Maldives will typically start from Male Island or neighboring Hulhumale Island. Both are serviced by Velana International Airport which has regular flights from many European and Asian countries through major airlines including: Air Seychelles, Aeroflot, Air Europe, Emirates, Malaysia Airlines, Qatar Airlines, Indian Airlines, Kuwait Airways, Condor and others. Your yacht will be ready for you after a 10 minute car ride into Hulhumale or 15 minutes over the bridge to Male.
Bareboat Charter Packing Checklist
Crewed Charter Packing Checklist