Overview – Mexico
Separating the Gulf of Mexico from the Pacific ocean lies the country of Mexico, a diverse and exciting country full of beautiful scenery, historic architecture, and idyllic sailing destinations.
A large country such as Mexico has many sailing destinations. Popular locations on the Yucatan peninsula like Cancun and Cozumel are always a good choice. Visitors can enjoy the balmy weather and warm waters of the Caribbean and relax on pristine beaches after exploring ancient Mayan ruins.
A wonderful sailing experience can also be had on the other side of the country in the Mexican Riviera and the Sea of Cortez where the cities of Mazatlan and La Paz can be found. Secluded anchorages in turquoise waters dividing picturesque islands make for a highly recommended region to enjoy your sailing vacation.
Speak to a Charter Expert: (800) 382-9666
REQUEST A QUOTE
Search Mexico Yacht ChartersBAREBOAT CHARTERS CREWED CHARTERS
Events & Activities – Mexico
Here’s a preview of a few things you can expect on your Mexico yacht charter with Virgin Island Sailing®:
- A great way to experience some of the cultures of Mexico is to take in the festivals and explore the cities to meet and see some wonderful people and landmarks.
- Many islands with secluded anchorages make perfect locations to explore on your sailing vacation.
- Warm weather, clear waters, and sandy beaches allow for the perfect mix of fun and relaxation on the sea.
A Few of the Best Places to Visit in Mexico:
- La Paz. The city where many yacht charters begin and lies near the southern end of the Baja Peninsula. Offshore lies the gateway to the Sea of Cortez with brilliant blue waters while on the coast you can find bars and restaurants where local cuisine is characterized by unique seafood dishes.
- Cozumel. A popular tourist destination for good reason, Cozumel lies off of the coast of the Yucatan and is home to beautiful beaches and colorful reefs with a variety of sea life. You can time your visit to coincide with the Cozumel Carnival or the Festival of Santa Cruz and El Cedral Fair.
- Isla San Francisco. Anchor in the crescent-shaped bay and relax on the white stretch of beach overlooking the crystal clear waters perfect for snorkeling or other water activities. If you are feeling adventurous, explore several of the hiking trails and navigate to the top of the scenic ridge which divides the island.
Weather & Seasons – Mexico
To describe the climate of La Paz and the surrounding area, it would be considered a tropical desert climate. There is typically less humidity which means that temperatures vary a bit more than other countries at similar latitudes. However, the nearby waters and summertime winds from the Pacific help keep the temperatures in check.
Rainfall is minimal and peaks in August and September. Vacationing in the area between February and May will have pleasant air temperatures but the water may be a little brisk. A trip to the region in October and November will have both air and sea temperatures in a good range.
|Temp Max (°F )||Temp Min (°F )||Avg. Water Temp (°F )||Avg. Rainfall (in)||Avg. Wind Speed (kts)|
|January||75||52||68||0.6||NW 5-15 |
|April||87||57||70||0||NW 5-15 |
|May||92||60||75||0||W 5-15 |
|June||96||66||78||0.1||W 5-15 |
|November||83||60||78||0.3||NW 5-15 |
|December||76||55||72||0.6||NW 5-15 |
Travel Info – Mexico
Travel is fairly simple. If your charter begins in Cancun, then it is even simpler. Cancun receives direct flights daily from many North American cities as well as several European cities. From Cancun International Airport, it should take you no more than 30 minutes to ride to the marina or mooring location.
Most charters will start in La Paz and visitors will fly into Manuel Marquez de Leon International Airport. Flights from Mexico City, Guadalajara and Monterrey are easy to come by and seasonal flights from the U.S. cities Phoenix and Dallas are set to begin in 2021. After you land it is just a 20 minute drive to the marina.
Bareboat Charter Packing Checklist
Crewed Charter Packing Checklist