Overview – Australia
Yacht charter holidays in the Whitsunday Islands are famous throughout Australia for their fantastic waterways, islands, beautiful scenery and ideal climate all year round. This incredible charter location is also beginning to be discovered by charterers from outside Australia. If stunning beaches and great diving get you excited, go down under and experience islands set inside acres of stunning coral reefs that protect the many anchorages and bays from ocean swells. Numerous destinations make for easy line-of-sight sailing and allow you to navigate the gateway to the Great Barrier Reef.
A choice of charters for sailing monohulls and catamarans as well as power monohulls and catamarans are in abundance. Many of these yachts cater for larger numbers and this can make for added fun if two groups of friends or family want to go cruising down under. Your journey will usually start at Hamilton Island or Sydney. From there, it will be blue skies, clear waters, and white beaches wherever you go.
Speak to a Charter Expert: (800) 382-9666
REQUEST A QUOTE
Search Australia Yacht ChartersBAREBOAT CHARTERS SUPERYACHT CHARTERS
Events & Activities – Australia
Here’s a preview of a few things you can expect on your Australia yacht charter with Virgin Island Sailing®:
- An island system cooled by trade winds with navigation routes protected by a reef system makes for an ideal sailing experience.
- Navigate the gateway to the Great Barrier Reef, one of the seven natural wonders of the world.
- Serving as mostly a national park, the Whitsundays are home to diverse land and sea wildlife, unique to Australia and its surrounding waters.
A Few of the Best Places to Visit in Australia:
- Hamilton Island. A commercial capital in the Whitsundays, visit a variety of resorts and attractions. It is the only island with a commercial airport and its marina makes sailing access a breeze. Several charter companies call this island home while others make it a necessary stop for travel itineraries.
- Whitehaven Beach, Whitsunday Island. Anchoring in Tongue Bay grants access to the pure white stretch of sand and turquoise water that is Whitehaven Beach. Hiking trails and snorkeling spots are aplenty and make sure to visit the lookout spot at Tongue Point before you leave.
- Great Barrier Reef. Take a seaplane adventure or day charter excursion to dive into the splendor of one of the seven natural wonders of the world. Explore the fringes of an ecosystem teeming with marine life that can be found nowhere else on earth. The reef shields the Whitsundays from the heavy ocean swells of the coral sea and allows for a perfect sailing experience.
Weather & Seasons – Australia
The numerous islands of the Whitsundays play host to tradewinds nearly year round, regulating temperatures and creating a sub tropical climate perfect for a yacht charter vacation. The islands lie on the equivalent tropical latitude as Honolulu in the northern hemisphere and Mauritius in the southern hemisphere.
The summer months of January to March act as the region’s wet season with sunny days in the mid 80’s giving way to momentary tropical showers and then going right back to sunshine. Winter months are drier with temperatures reaching the mid 70’s.
The winter season is often busier, since the drier months coincide with sailing events happening at Hamilton Island and Airlie Beach, as well as humpback whale migratory season. All of which draw tourists to the area.
|Avg Temp (°F )||Avg. Water Temp (°F )||Avg. Rainfall (in)||Avg. Wind Speed (kts)|
|January||81||83||11||E 10-15 |
|February||81||83||11||E/SE 10-15 |
|March||80||82||11||E/SE 10-15 |
|April||77||80||6||E/SE 10-20 |
|May||73||77||4||E/SE 10-15 |
|June||69||73||3||SE 10-15 |
|July||67||71||2||SE 10-15 |
|August||69||72||1||E 10-15 |
|September||73||74||1||E 10-15 |
|October||76||77||1||E 10-15 |
|November||79||79||4||NE 10-15 |
Travel Info – Australia
Your choice of charter will determine your starting point. Air travel is recommended as many airlines offer direct flights to Sydney from many countries. If you plan to start from Airlie Beach or Hamilton Island, both of those locations have airports that you can fly to from the Australian cities of Brisban, Cairns, Sydney, or Melbourne.
The Whitsunday Coast Airport is a 30 minute drive from Airlie Beach and is serviced by weekly flights. Shuttle buses meet all arriving flights and can take you to either the Coral Sea Marina or your accommodation.
Hamilton Island Airport is the only Whitsundays Island commercial airport and has multiple arrivals and departures each day and is a 5 minute ride by taxi or shuttle to your accommodation or marina.
Bareboat Charter Packing Checklist
Crewed Charter Packing Checklist